Thursday, March 5, 2009

2.0hmywheretobegin

I had used delicious in the past, but found that I didn't really have a need for it. I honestly found it easier to store my links on my browser. I've really only used one computer at a time so it's all I've needed. That's not to say that I don't think there is a need for delicious. I can see how it could be a very useful tool for reference librarians to share common links. Or even for reference librarians nation (or even world) wide to share common links of vetted information.

Which leads to Librarian 2.0. Of the 5 topics, I was most drawn in by John Riemer's "To better bibliographic services." I think we'd all agree that librarianship is a collaborative effort. Together we can provide more information, keep each other up to date and in the loop. Point and case being standardized cataloging practices. Without them, where would be stand? Libraries would be difficult to navigate simply because they'd all be vastly different. WorldCat would have been nearly impossible to set up. But with them, libraries co-exist harmoniously and have been able to find a way to share information (fairly) seamlessly. So then, why is meta data a crap shoot? Why not increase the relevancy of search results by streamlining our terms? Helping to internet searchability really seems to be the next logical step to incorporate the 2.0 in Library 2.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment